Consultation +1 (647) 556-1781 | Toll Free 1-800-556-4581 [email protected]

A Canadian work permit offers you an ideal opportunity to live & work in Canada for up to a specified period of time. If you’re one of the aspirants looking to apply for a work permit in Canada, there are a couple of things that you must know before proceeding further with the application process. For instance, there are different types of work permits, which mean you can choose one that suits your skills and future plans.

Work Permit Exemptions

Some jobs do not require a work permit. Individuals that fall under theses category can work for a period of time provided that they legally enter the country. Some of the jobs that do not require work permits are as follows:

  • Athletes & Coaches
  • Clergy Members
  • Expert Witnesses
  • Aviation Investigators
  • Health Care Students

Labour Market Impact Assessment

Most people, however, are required to apply for a work permit before they can legally work & earn in Canada.

To obtain the permit, you should already have an employer in Canada. This employer will likely need to have a Labor Market Impact Assessment approved (LMIA) to sponsor you for the work permit. LMIA is a document stating that the employer has the permission for hiring a foreign employee. To obtain an LMIA, the employer needs to demonstrate to the government of Canada that there is not a Canadian or Permanent Resident available for the job vacancy. The employer in most cases is required to nationally advertise the job vacancy before applying for the LMIA.Student Work Permit

Foreign students studying in Canadian Schools/Colleges/Universities can also apply for student work permits. They do not require a work permit for working on campus. However, to be eligible for an off-campus work permit, they need to be enrolled in full-time studies, and should have completed a minimum of 6 months of their studies. An off-campus work permit is a part-time work permit, which allows students to work for up to twenty hours a week while studying. On completion of their program of study, they can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), which will enable them to work full-time in any job. Spousal Work Permit

Spouses or common-law partners of students/workers in Canada can apply for an open work permit to work in Canada for the same duration as the study permit or work permit of their spouse/partner.

The article provides just a brief review of some of the main categories of Canadian work permits. For detailed information about working in Canada, talk to one of the best immigration consultants in Canada at