What are the basic requirements for getting admission in a Canadian College/University?
- To get admission in a recognized Canadian College or University, foreign students need to meet certain requirements. The criteria may vary depending on the program you apply for & some other factors. The two important criteria are your high school grades and proficiency in English language (in most provinces) or French language in francophone provinces.
Who does not need a student visa to study in Canada?
- Most students require a student visa also known as a study permit to pursue their studies in Canada. However, in some cases, you may not need a visa to study in Canada.
You don’t need a study permit, if:
- You want to take a short-term program or course, which lasts 6 months or less.
- You are a staff member or family member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
- You are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act.
When exactly should I submit my student visa application?
- You should apply as soon as you get your ‘letter of acceptance’ from the educational institute in Canada. The total processing time for a student visa application for Canada depends on various factors like your age, documents, proofs, etc.
Do I need a medical examination to get a study permit?
- You will be required to undergo a medical examination if you’ll be staying in Canada for more than 6 months, and are coming from a country for which Canada requires a visa.
Can I work part-time while studying in Canada?
- Yes, you can. However, when you apply for a student visa, you should be able to convince the visa officer that you possess adequate funds to support yourself until the completion of your course/program. Full-time students are allowed to work in their college/University without any employment authorization. Foreign students can also work off campus up to 20 hours/week during their studies and 40 hours/week during regular scheduled school break.
For more information about the eligibility criteria or application process to obtain a Canadian student visa, contact us at 1-800-556-4581 or (647) 556-1781 or visit us at www.crightneyimmigration.com